Saturday, April 2, 2016

Beginner Class and Ice Cream Cones!

class1

I was away last week, as it is Spring Break in our part of the world, and we took a drive down to Winnipeg to visit family and friends. I also spent a day at a beautiful quilt shop in Winkler, MB called Road 17 N and taught a beginner piecing class using our Highway 10 Designs pattern City Slicker.  I had 8 wonderful students and they all got a great start on this quilt top.    As I was driving to Winkler I realized I forgot my camera, I was so mad at myself!  So I do not have any pictures to share of the class or the students with a finished block to show their fabric choices,  I just have the blocks I used as my samples.  I’m making a scrappy batik version of this quilt, its a great way to use up leftover 2 1/2” strips from all my batik projects.

class2

Before I left on our trip I had put together a baby quilt from Ice Cream Cone blocks that I won at our guild meeting in February.    At our guild meetings we like to teach a quilt block and then ask members to make two out of scraps and bring those blocks back to the guild next month.   We then use half the blocks to make a comfort quilt that we donate to a local charity and the other half we have a draw and a lucky member wins the blocks.  So I won 21 blocks and then made a scrapy single Irish chain setting blocks to highlight them.  Once I had all the setting blocks made I thought they might be too bright and distract from the cones so posted a picture on IG and was reassured that the blocks worked just fine.  Whew!

cone1

The Ice Cream Cone block was a pattern from Project Linus called Single Scoop and one our guild uses a lot for baby quilts.  You can download the paper piecing instructions for ‘Single Scoop’ here, or you can find it in the January/Feb 2006 issue of Quiltmaker magazine.   We gave the members the cone fabric so that is why the all match so well.  I might still add a border but need to find fabric for that.

cone3cone2

6 comments:

  1. The ice cream cones look great with the Irish chain blocks. So very colourful. Shame on you for forgetting your camera when you went to Winkler! I was so looking forward to pictures. Your students probably appreciated not being distracted by picture taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really charming, and using the chain setting worked great to add another spark of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! I was looking forward to seeing all the variations of City Slicker that your students worked on. I'm sure they enjoyed the class. This ice cream cone quilt is so fun and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ice cream quilt is going to look amazing!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you set those off with the Irish Chain Block. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great class for beginners, and the cones, super settings and design.

    ReplyDelete