Thursday, January 14, 2016

Saw Blades Quilt


This is Iris's Saw Blades quilt and you can find this traditional block pattern at a great online site called Quilters Cache.   This website is an amazing resource if your looking for any block patterns.   Iris used beautiful bright colours for her quilt and a orange Minkie for the back!



I suggested she use Black Poly batting for this quilt and so we used Black Quilters Dream Poly.   With this being a queen size quilt and having Minkie on the back it is a very heavy quilt so added a poly batting keeps it from getting too heavy. Also the extra loft of poly helps reduce the Minkie fibres from bearding to the top which they like to do! Using black batting made sense as the background fabric is black and the thread  I used was black So Fine thread on top and backing. Using black thread on the back looks fine as it blends well into the Minkie fibres.


 I used the Plush panto as it looks like little saw blades too!  It is also a light density design and I prefer using those with Minkie backings.


You can see it was snowing lightly as I was taking these pictures ( in a -33'c windchill!)



6 comments:

  1. I looked twice, and wonder, do you lay the quilts on a clear plastic on the snow? The quilting you chose so suits the design and the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shovel the snow on the lake and lay the quilts on the ice!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful quilt. Obviously your camera and your fingers work at -33 but I am surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a beautiful quilt! I love the use of colours on the black background. And I'm intrigued by that block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is awesome! I love bright colors on black backgrounds. They grab my attention and I just stare at them in awe. Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you will want to slow the blade down just to cut slower, other times you must slow it down to prevent the blade from burning the edges of the wood as you cut. Some scroll saws require belt changing to change speeds. tools

    ReplyDelete