Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cupcakery Quilt

cake4

Yes ‘Cupcakery’ is a word…well it’s the name of the fabric line by Me-O-My that I used to make my quilt.  I purchased this cute fat quarter bundle a couple of years ago and recently did a search and found out it is from 2011.  It is hard to find now but I did discover that Me-O-My has a new line with an ice cream theme that is just as cute!

cake7

I used our Quarter Sections pattern and tested the idea of using directional and busier prints for our pattern and I’m happy to report it worked quite well with a bit of planning.    I just had to remember that for this lap sized quilt the blocks in 4 columns are turned up and that the blocks in 3 columns are turned down so place the directional fabrics according.   It might not be a good idea for a beginner too tackle with directional fabrics but if you don't mind working with directional prints and do a bit of pre-planning then there is no problem.  I’m pleasantly surprised how much I love this quilt and I got to use up fabrics from my stash.  Yes my stash is finally growing but I hope to put a dent into it this summer.

cake1

I used a pantograph called Sweetness that has a cupcake theme as well.  I had purchased it a few years ago for a clients quilt and it worked out perfect on this quilt.

sweetness2.5 cake5

I don’t usually use a busy panto on a busy quilt but since it’s mine I took the chance.  I like how the cupcake quilting shows up on some of the plainer blocks.

cake6cake2

Hummm….now I want to make cupcakes with pink icing!  :)

cake3

7 comments: