I have been working on my Island Sunrise quilt this week and I’m happy report it is done, binding and all!
I started by quilting it all in the ditch, actually is was more like 1/8” beside the ditch. I stayed the background around the spikes and I stitched on either side of the ditch to say in the background fabric. I really wanted the piecing to stand out so I didn’t add extra swirls or waving quilting lines in the blocks as I wanted the sharp lines of the piecing to be the focus in the blocks. I then added a simple feather in the background.
I spent a bit of time on the outer border as it was a great space to play with a more detailed quilting designs. I had no plan but it just developed as I worked step by step on it. I started out by quilting an X though all the squares and then came back and added the second line of quilting. From there I decided to repeat this image and make a smaller square in the center of each square. I then added the feather motif and that lead to the small feather motif in the centers of the squares. I started to quilt a curly design in the open framed space but after doing one square I knew it looked wrong so I stopped. I took a picture and got a second opinion from a quilting friend and she agreed that I should pick it out. So glad I did as I really like how the empty space shows off the rest of the designs.
We had 10 cm of snow fall yesterday and it was the light fluffy kind that you can just blow out of your hands. That make it more difficult to lay a quilt on as the snow just flies up and covers the quilt!
This was the last of my quilt top that needed quilting so now I better get piecing so I have more to quilt in the new year.