Here is my Giant Dahlia quilt finished, even the binding is on!! My friend Desley sent me the pattern with acrylic templates last January so we could both work on this quilt. I know she is almost done piecing hers and has done a different layout with smaller Dahlia designs. I’m looking forward to seeing how she quilts hers!
I used all Stonehenge fabrics for my quilt and added more background to the original pattern to make it larger.
I using a variety of techniques to quilt this quilt. Free hand meandering feathers to fill the background, straight lines to create a leaf motif in each petal piece, curved ruler work in the lighter center petals and then added a secondary circle design in the second and fifth petals to echo the outer circle. Seven thread changes of So Fine thread and I used Quilter’s Dream Blend batting.
When I was piecing this quilt I had trouble with the very center….where 16 seams intersect! I’ll even share a picture. I couldn’t get all the seams to meet in the center, there was too much bulk no matter which way I pressed it.
So I decided to appliqué a circle of the same fabric over top to be the center of the Dahlia, then I trimmed off the bulk from the center under the appliqué.
Hard to believe December is half over but I’ve put a good dent into my UFO’s. I just loaded my Judy Nieymeyer’s Island Sunrise quilt and hope to finish that one by Friday before the boys start their two week xmas break.