Friday, December 7, 2012

99 out of 100

99 blocks
The last set of instructions for the Just Takes Two Mystery were posted on Dec 1 and I have the final layout now too.  I have 99 out of 100 done.   Still haven’t attempted block 23 as it is all hand piecing…I like hand appliqué but not hand piecing.  There are EIGHT pages of instructions!  See why it is intimidating me!!   It’s called Grandmother Favourite Compass…..it’s a pretty block but I hate using templates.  I always forget to add the 1/4” seam allowance and end up with a block that’s too small.  It doesn't matter how many times I remind myself to add the seam allowance I always seem to forget.
  block 23 block 23a
So I’m going to try to find another 12 1/2” block to substitute into the quilt.  I've come this far I can’t quit now!!
Here is the last two sets of blocks, plus the ‘key’ block I didn't like at first but decided it wasn't that bad so just did it.

JT2
I don’t think I would have keep up with this project if it wasn't for Lori’s occasional nudge so it was a great project to do with a friend.  So when you find yourself thinking about starting a new mystery that you would really like to see to completion ask a friend to work along with you. You might find you have a competitive side that keeps you motivated to keep ahead of your friend ;)

4 comments:

  1. Keep going! I can't wait to see this one finished up and quilted. Your work is amzaing. Thanks for sharing your journey so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, 23 would make me cry. ;D This is going to be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go. I have the last five blocks to do, and two that need redoing. One is the wrong size, and one I just don't like my appliqué. It is great to get a nudge now and again when tackling a huge project. Glad we did it- just need to see it to the end. I think you should just try the compass block. If I could do it, you certainly can! (Nudge, nudge?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your colors. I'm having the same trouble with the Feathered Star from the very beginning. I had such trouble that I couldn't move on and now don't have many blocks completed. I'm still working on the FS by had. I had already tried it twice by machine. thanks for warning about Block 23 - I'll be looking for another block, too. It's my quilt and I can do what I want!! lol

    ReplyDelete