Friday, June 10, 2011

A Secret About Raffle Quilts


If your part of a guild you know how much of a pain fundraising is but it is a necessary part of keeping a guild a float.  Our guild has discovered something that I thought I would share with you and hopefully this can help your guild.   Every November our town (population 5,000) has a craft sale weekend with two venues packed with local and out of town crafters.   I started renting a table at one of the venues with a friend years ago and we sold our crafts...my fabric cards and quilted totebags and she made beautiful scrapbooking style cards (long before it was popular).  We had a lot of fun (even won best decorated table one year) but then my friend moved away. The next year I did a table by myself but it just wasn't the same.  The following year the guild decided to rent a table and sell tickets on our quilt show raffle quilt that would be drawn in April of the next year.  The ticket sales went okay.  The next year we were asked if we wanted to come back but we didn't have a raffle quilt but thought why don't we make a quilt to raffle at the craft sale.  Little did we know how brilliant this idea was.  We were not expecting the word " DRAWN TODAY" to have such an impact on ticket sales but it did.  People we more willing to open up there wallets knowing that that draw was that day then if it was drawn months away.  So that is my advise to other guilds, try a one day quilt raffle at a high traffic event and see how it goes.
So that brings me to this quilt, our next November Craft Sale raffle quilt made using the Perfect Ten pattern and Makin' New Friends fabric.


Anything with a snowman theme seems to sell well at these sales so I thought we could combine quilts and snowman and see if that came improve our ticket sales even more. I love this fabric collection.


I quilted it using the pantograph Flurry and off white Highlights thread to give it a bit of a shine.
Solid Kona Butter for the backing so you can see the quilting.

7 comments:

  1. That is a super great idea that I'm going to introduce at our next guild meeting!!

    Such a cute quilt! Love your quilting on this quilt!! Great design!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! We have a small guild and finding ways to raise enough money to pay for speakers is really hard, especially since we don't do a show. I think we will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Kathy - and the quilt is terrific too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we get the most sales about two hours before the drawing, and when I say it is the last book of tickets!!!!Wow

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty quilt! The snowflakes are incredibly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty quilt - and I can see you have little flowers coming up next to your fence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That panto is perfect! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete